June 13, 2019

Our Fourth Grade Journey

I would like to extend my gratitude for sharing your child with me this school year. We have all grown together. It has been my pleasure to guide your child to become more independent and thoughtful individuals that will contribute to society in a positive way. The students have learned so much this school year. Now the ball is in your court. Please continue to foster these skills throughout the summer using the resources mentioned below. Thank you, thank you, thank you once again for your continued support throughout the school year and all of the little gifts along the way. Don’t forget to also make some great memories this summer!

Wishing you all the best,

Mrs. Kalis

*Below is a video glimpse into our fourth grade school year and some additional photos that did not make their way into the video due to production timing.

Class Lists   

Image result for class lists

It is very important that you have login info and updated contact/emergency information in Parent Connection. Class teacher assignments will be updated via MiStar Parent Connection by August 30th.

School Supply Lists

Suggested school supply lists will be available by the end of June on our district web page (Arno page).  You can also search for Arno Elementary using the following link: https://www.teacherlists.com/

Summer Slide Prevention Resources

Please take advantage of the following literacy opportunities available to Arno students:
Arno Summer Book Swap
On Monday, students received a backpack, reading log, and three grade level books to read this summer. Reading and recording their minutes will earn them multiple prizes! Every other week, Arno students are invited to come to the front entrance of the school to find something different to read AND enjoy a popsicle with an Arno teacher! Please join us at 12:00p.m.-1:00p.m. on the following dates listed below:
June 24
July 8, 22
August 5, 19
Reading books and logs are to be returned to school by Friday, September 13, 2019 to be awarded prizes.
Allen Park Public Library Summer Reading Program

Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program

This program is here to help you on your way, encouraging you to read books of your own choosing and earn a FREE book, simply by following these three easy steps:

1. Read any eight books this summer and record them in your Summer Reading Journal. Tell us which part of the book is your favorite, and why.
2. Bring your completed journal to a Barnes & Noble store between August 1st and August 31stFind a Store
3. Choose your FREE booke from the book list featured on the back of the journal.

Summer Math Review
Students in Mrs. Kalis class are receiving a hard copy of the math review packet. This packet is full of activities that correlate to fourth grade Common Core standards. Please use this as a tool throughout the summer to keep up your child’s math skills so that they are more successful in fifth grade. I remember waking up in the summer, and my mom would have a math workbook open and the pages were labeled with the day’s date. I had to complete the necessary pages before beginning other fun activities. One summer, my mom did this and I was able to earn tickets that I could redeem for increments of time to watch tv. These are just a couple ideas. The possibilities are endless!

University of Michigan-Dearborn’s Environmental Interpretive Center Young Naturalist’s Summer Program

In this popular program, children explore nature with their peers over 4 consecutive days. The beautiful UM-Dearborn campus Environmental Study Area will be theirs to explore through hands-on learning. Each session will have a different theme, such as pond exploration, insects and spiders, creatures of the soil, and reptiles and amphibians. We’ll also investigate the fascinating plant life of the area including wildflowers and trees

Each of the following age groups will have its own series of four, daily programs and meet from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM.

• 7-9 year olds; July 8, 9, 10 & 11
  • 10-11 year olds; July 15, 16, 17 & 18

There is a $30 fee for this program. Register for the summer program.